Pre-Requisite: Honors Physical Science minimum C or higher in 8th grade.
The Medical Assisting strand offers students the opportunity to earn a certification as an EKG technician at the end of their Junior year in high school. During the Senior year of high school, the student will be dual enrolled in Robert Morgan Technical College (RMTC) in a laboratory and classroom setting earning credit hours towards the medical assisting certificate. The student will also be offered the opportunity to earn a certification as a Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA). Immediately upon high school graduation, the student will continue at RMTC to complete their clinical practicum experience in medical assisting in one summer trimester of study.
Meet Mr. Castellanos…
Robert Castellanos: MS in Public Health, RMA, CCMA – 16 years teaching experience
Experience Medical Assisting…
What we study…
- 9th grade: Health Science Anatomy and Physiology
- 10th grade: Health Science Foundations
- 11th Grade: Phlebotomy and Electrocardiograph Technician through dual enrollment in RMECTC.
- 12th Grade: Administrative Medical Assisting and Clinical Medical Assisting through dual enrollment.
What we do…
- Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA)
- EKG technician
- Dual Enrollment in Robert Morgan Technical College (RMTC)
- Laboratory and Classroom setting Clinical Practicum
- Blood Drives
Health Organization Student Association (HOSA)
HOSA is a national organization that operates as an integral component of the Health Science education curriculum. Through its association of state and local chapters, HOSA provides powerful instructional tools, recognition, leadership, networking, scholarships, and connections with the healthcare industry to thousands of members across the United States and abroad. Through the HOSA Competitive Events program, members can showcase their health care and leadership skills in over 55 different events related to all aspects of the health care industry. HOSA integrates into the Health Science Education curriculum seamlessly to develop and recognize smart, dedicated, and passionate future health professionals.